WHAT IS ACUPUNCTURE?
Chinese Medicine is an applied philosophy, one that focuses on functional relationships and patterns within the individual, as well as between the individual and his or her environment.
The prime mover, the spark of life and movement in the universe is known as Qi (‘chee’). Qi contains all of life’s essential activities and processes – physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual. This vital energy flows through a network of 12 primary meridians, or pathways, in the body. The integration and interweaving of these pathways create a web that is cohesive, coherent and whole.
Acupuncture points are areas on the skin which access this vital flow of energy in the body. The goal of Chinese Medicine seeks to maintain and re-establish any imbalances or disharmony in the flow of one’s Qi to prevent illness.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
- There are several theories as to how acupuncture works:
- augmentation of immunity: acupuncture raises certain hormones, triglcerides, prostaglandins, white blood cell counts, antibody levels.
- endorphin theory: stimulates secretion of endorphins, specifically enkephalins.
- neurotransmitter theory: seratonin & noradrenaline levels may be affected.
- circulatory theory: it causes the blood vessels to constrict or dilate due to a histamine release in response to acupuncture.
- gate control theory: pain perception which is controlled by the nervous system is blocked during acupuncture.
- TAKEN FROM ACUPUNCTURE.COM
WHAT TO EXPECT?
I will listen to your pulses, look at your tongue and take a detailed history to get a sense of who you are, your constitution, so that I may come up with a diagnosis and treatment specifically for you.
I use only the highest quality, single use, sterilized needles. There are certain sensations we look for known as ‘de qi’or qi sensation, which may feel heavy, numb, tingling or a dull ache. All of these are an indication that the treatment is working and the qi is moving.
If you are here to treat an acute situation, you may only need a few treatments. However, to treat more chronic conditions it may require a longer time to address. Most people feel a sense of well-being, peace and relaxation after a treatment.
WHAT DOES ACUPUNCTURE TREAT?
Allergies/Asthma · Carpal Tunnel Syndrome · Digestive Disorders/IBS Fibromyalgia · Infertility · Osteoarthritis · Sinus Problems · Smoking Cessation · Tinnitus/Vertigo · Anxiety/Depression · Colds/Flu · Migraine · TMJ · Insomnia · Sciatica · Skin Conditions · Stress Management · UTI/Incontinence · Women’s Wellness · Gynecological Issues · Neuropathy · Immune Support · Etc.